What is a “blogging tribe”?
A blogging tribe is a select group of people who agree to read, comment on and share each other’s blogs. You can gather a tribe among your friends or join a group.
You want to keep the tribe fairly small because you are agreeing to read each person’s blog posts, comment on them and share them in your social circles.
If you have too many people in your tribe, it will start to get overwhelming. We don’t want that
What’s the point of “blogging tribes”?
Blogging tribes help those participating build connections, drive organic traffic, create community, and ensure that your blog is getting read.
Let’s face it, many of us don’t always comment on a blog post we read if we are going to be the first commenter, unless, of course, the post is really compelling to us.
I know I’ve not commented on a post that just wasn’t that spectacular.
I have commented on a “meh” post, if someone else commented and felt the commenter made a good point or something.
I also only share blogs and posts to my social circles if I feel it will help others or if it really connects with me some how.
OH, and if I trust the blogger … I do have favorite bloggers that I share regularly just because I love them and think everyone else should, too
What are the benefits of “blogging tribes”?
- Someone is ACTUALLY reading your blog
- Build connections and relationships with other bloggers
- Create community ~ your tribe shares with their circles and the community grows
- Bring traffic from other blogs back to your own blog with your comments
- Social Sharing ~ getting the word out
- Help other bloggers build their audience
Help your tribe help you!
- Add social sharing plugins to your blog
- Reward your commenters
** I use WordPress, so the plugins I have listed are for that platform. Some of these plugins do have versions for other platforms. **
- ** Comment Luv – http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/commentluv/
- ** Top Commentators – http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/top-commentators-widget/
- Tweet Meme – http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/tweetmeme/
- Add to Any – http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/add-to-any/
My Final Thoughts
I believe that blogging tribes are a positive thing for any blogger. Just remember that it’s a commitment — comment on each others’ blog posts for the agreed amount (once a week, every post, etc.), remember to share others’ posts in your social circles, and respond to ALL comments left on your blog — even if it is just to say thank you.
Latest posts by Kimberly Gypsy LoSavio (see all)
- Wednesday Q & A ~ WordPress Username Security - February 19, 2014
- 7 Ways to Create an Amazing 2014 - January 8, 2014
- Happy 2014! - January 1, 2014
- It’s here! It’s here! WordPress 3.6 – the “Oscar” Version! - August 2, 2013
- Celebrating Lammas Today - August 1, 2013